
The Cleveland Browns named Deshuan Watson the starting quarterback for Game 1 of the 2026 NFL season. He may not be under center come Week 3.
The fanbase’s hate for their $230 million passer is influencing decision making. The Browns are reportedly worried about putting him in the lineup during the first home game.
Watson was booed mercilessly in his latest preseason game. He made matters worse with an evisceration of the fanbase in a subsequent press conference.
“It has nothing to do about the performance,” he said. “It’s a little bit [more] personal than that. It’s a disrespectful thing.
“Last time I played on this field, I tore my Achilles. And that same fan base cheered when I got hurt. What does that have to do with anything about performance? When a person gets hurt, especially for your own city, and they cheer?
“I thought being away for two years and working myself back from two Achilles injuries and putting the time in… Being around the facilities, being around the city, doing charity work in the city, supporting the Cleveland Browns, hanging around fans whenever I do see them, being honest, being the type of person I know I am, would help. I guess it hasn’t. That’s why I said it’s personal. It is what it is. People have their own opinions. There’s only so much that you can do to change that.”
Deshaun Watson is the Browns starting QB.
The designation was made public on Monday. Head coach Todd Monken said the quarterback’s previously mentioned comments would not impact decision making.
“He emptied his heart a little bit, and I don’t think that says who he is,” Monken said. “I see the competitor in him. I see the every-day work he puts in, and he wants to be back. He wants to get back to where he was as best he can, and that’s hard. And again, I think the moment just got him after the game, and it can get all of us.”
With that being said, it seems the hate received from his most recent preseason contest will influence his standing moving forward.
Browns will shield Watson from the fans.
Part of the thought process behind naming Deshaun Watson the Browns’ starter is that they open the season with two road games (at JAX, at TB) before returning home in Week 3.
That would give Watson two games to prove himself away from the fanbase. If he struggles, Shedeur Sanders could take over in front of the home crowd after the boos Watson received Saturday.
Meirov says that Cleveland is essentially giving Deshaun Watson a two-game tryout. It if fails, they will move onto Shedeur Sanders rather than subject Watson to more boo-birds.
The Browns start the year with back-to-back road games. If they go 2-0, we can expect Watson to play in Week 3 at home. A positive start could lessen the negativity received in his first home start. Winning cures all.
If unable to get off to a spotless start, though, the potential for replacement in on the table. It’s worth noting that Cleveland has not gone 2-0 to start a season since 1993.
Watson has received negative attention ever since making his feelings about the fanbase known. Dan Orlovsky said the Browns should consider cutting or trading the passer in response to his remarks.
That sentiment was echoed by PFT’s Mike Florio.
“He can’t play for them again… This is an entertainment business that relies upon individuals choosing to give up their time, their money, and their emotion. There’s a point where you are just giving your fans a double-barreled flaming middle finger. You cannot have him on the field again.”
Unfortunately, Cleveland appears to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Cutting Deshaun Watson would cost the Browns $86 million in dead space.
For that reason, he’ll they’ll likely be forced to keep him on board. They will give him the chance to prove himself in the first two games. The fans will decide if he takes the field in Week 3.
The post Cleveland’s Hate Of Deshaun Watson Is Influencing Decision Making In Browns’ QB Competition appeared first on BroBible.
Cleveland’s Hate Of Deshaun Watson Is Influencing Decision Making In Browns’ QB Competition
Pinoy Human Rights

0 Comments